Herbert Strutt Primary School

Herbert Strutt Primary School

We Care, Challenge, Achieve and Open Minds

Thornhill Avenue, Belper, Derbyshire DE56 1SH

Email: info@herbertstrutt.derbyshire.sch.uk

Tel: 01773 822771

Absence from school

What do I do if my child needs time off school?

Schools are not able to grant permission for holidays or time off in term time.

If you feel that there is an EXCEPTIONAL reason (i.e. it wouldn't apply to a large proportion of other families) why your child needs time off school then you need to:

  • Ask the school office for a “Request for Exceptional Leave Form”, or download a copy from the 'Forms' tab in the 'Office' section of the website.
  • Complete this, giving the reason why the request is exceptional, in as much detail as possible.
  • Hand the request form in to the office at least 2 weeks before you need time off.
  • You will receive a written reply stating whether or not the absence will be authorised.
  • If the time is not authorised and you still take your child out of school, then a fixed penalty of  £120 per child, per parent will be issued by the Local Authority.   

If we believe that you have taken a holiday in term time but have not disclosed this, a fixed penalty may still be served by the Local Authoirty.

Back to the Top